A Man’s Got to Know His Data Limitations
Is your Unlimited Data Plan about to go Pets.com? Marguerite Reardon from Signal Strength on c|net has a solid summary: No unlimited data plan? Help! (FAQ).
Maggie Reardon's Back of the Envelope Calculations:
“Here's a little guide put together by Verizon to give you an idea of how much data certain activities eat up:
- Email (text only) = 10KB
- Typical Web Page Lookup* = 1.5MB
- Audio Streaming = 40MB/hr
- Low-Resolution Video Streaming = 200MB/hr
- High-Resolution Video Streaming = 400MB/hr
- Digital Photo download/upload (Hi-Res) = 1MB”
Pay special attention to her suggestions on changes to email settings, restricting use to Wi-Fi connections, and apps to help you track usage.
Bottom Line:What content providers giveth, the carriers will taketh away (or charge huge fees for access).
The cloud is fine, until they figure out how to tax the rain.
Post a Comment